MY RIGHT TO VOTE!!!
Lohn got up at 6 am to vote before he had to be to work. He waited in line for 70 minutes. The line ended about 1/4 mile from the school and wrapped around the school halls. Here is a picture of his line.

I went at 8:30 am and waited for an hour. I luckily didn't have to wait outside, the line had shortened. Sorta. Here is a picture of my line.
As I stood in line, I felt the confirmation of the Spirit that what I was doing was special. I felt that what I was doing was a privilege. I felt that what I was doing was the right thing. Side note- My church in no way supports any party. We are encouraged every election time to pray and vote for who we think would be best. The confirmation I felt was that I was doing the right thing by voting, not necessarily by who I was voting for. As I waited in the mile long line, I felt overcome with gratefulness. Tears came to my eyes as I looked at all the people patiently waiting around me. Another side note- The Spirit can sometimes put one in an awkward situation. I am sure it looked very strange to see a frumpy mom standing in line with a kid in tow struggling to hold back tears. "Gee lady, whats the big deal, you don't have to vote..." I am oh so very grateful to our determined forefathers who made this country what it is, and also for all the brave, dear suffragists who fought so that I, a mother of 4 with a mind and opinions of her own, can also vote. And while it is extremely annoying to listen to all the Romney and Obama bashing from both sides, I am grateful that Americans can bash without there being any repercussions from the law. I love that we are free. I loved every person in that line today despite the differences of political views. Side note number 3- I was totally profiling today. That guy dressed in camo? He's voting for Romney. That black lady dressed in a business suit? Obama. After I turned in my ballot I got the "I Voted" sticker. I am wearing it proudly on my shirt for everyone to see, and "No, Sylas, that is my sticker and you can't have it. It is special to me."
God bless America.


No comments:
Post a Comment