Sunday, July 12, 2009


ADAM SMITH VS. JOSEPH SMITH


I have always been intrigued with the United Order as practiced by some of the early saints in the 1800's and I think it is because I am such a strong believer in capitalism and an incentive based market system. Our study of the Doctrine and Covenants this year in Sunday school has breathed new life to my interest in the comparison of these two seemingly opposing ideas.
Adam Smith, who is considered the father of modern economics, wrote about the importance of competition in the market place. "In every profession, the exertion of the greater part of those who exercise it, is always in proportion to the necessity they are under of making that exertion... and, where competition is free, the rivalship of competitors, who are all endeavoring to jostle one another out of employment, obliges everyman to endeavor to execute his work with a certain degree of exactness." Competition, and the ability to gain more than the next guy seems to create the incentive to work hard and strive for perfection.
The Doctrine and Covenants states that "It it not given that man should possess that which is above another" (D&C 49:20) and that we should be equal in earthly things as well as heavenly things (D&C 78:5-6).
Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations say, "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest."
D&C 82:19 talks of "Every man seeking the interest of his neighbor."
On the surface it seems that the capitalistic viewpoints of Adam Smith are in sharp contrast to the commandments of the Lord as recorded by Joseph Smith in the Doctrine and Covenants. So why is it that I, along with most of the LDS population, are not flocking to campaign for Barack Obama, whose views seem to coincide more with those of our faith, than with those of Adam Smith.
Obviously, I recognize the difference between the law of consecration and communism, and I hope nobody gets the idea that this is a spiritual dilemma for me. On the contrary, I would like to share what I think. Unfortunately, there is not enough room on this page to share it with you at this time. Sorry.

Lohn McKee

1 comment:

Amy Berringer said...

Lohn
That is very interesting because I think our country is what it is today because of Capitalism. I also believe that this country was prepared and blessed to receive the gospel in this dispensation. Therefor capitalism was a positive tool to get us here today, is there a high law, YES are there many in this world ready to live it. NO, Can Democrats force it on us, NO. Just like the City of Enoch, the people choose to live it. If I was given a choice to live it with a community that felt the same, most definitely. Would I like to share my interests and talents, skills for free, yes, it feels a lot better than having people pay me, for them to be happy and grateful and want to share their talents, that would be cool. Tyler isn't a surgeon because he wants all the money, he loves his field, Jace doesn't coach for the money, he loves teaching and building those boys. Dad creates because he loves it. Ryan likes his work because he is doing something for the good of our country, that is very gratifying. Unfortunately we know Satan has created a population with little drive, motivation and work ethic, and for us that toil away have a hard time watching them do little and expecting a handout. Is that Christlike of us, I guess not, we are suppose to care for them, not judge (there are loads of scriptures about that) So I'm not sure what to think. However one thing is for sure I don't want the Democrats taking away my agency. Maybe none of this make sense but those are my thoughts. Good Questions!